This is a quick and easy recipe for a delicious tender eggplant pasta that takes just minutes to prepare. But before I share this pasta recipe let me share these beautiful and I mean BEAUTIFUL photos that one of my twins Rani took this week from guess where? La Dolce Vita!! Italy!! The twins Anjali and Rani are on a school trip to Italy this week! Why didn’t we go along? We tried, believe me!! But their school was very clear – only for students please! So here we are in California enjoying Italy vicariously through our kids. Rani texted these photos from Florence on day two of their trip and the pictures are just gorgeous!
Rani in Florence, Italy
Is Rani in Santa Barbara, California? Nah. This is Florence!
Art on the street in Florence.
Food in Florence looks out of this world!
Eggplant Tomato Pasta
- 1 lb pasta of your choice
- 1 large Italian eggplant cut into small cubes
- 5 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 15oz can of stewed or plum tomatoes in their juices
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves or 1 tbsp dry basil
- Olive oil
- Fresh mozzarella (as much as you want) – you can also leave it out to make this pasta dairy free
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add garlic and chili flakes and sauté for a few seconds. Immediately add the cut eggplant and cook for 10 minutes until the veggies are tender.
- Next add the can of tomatoes and their juices. Make sure to crush the tomatoes with your hands as you add it to the eggplant. Add basil and salt to taste. Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes until sauce is bubbly and slightly thickened.
- In the meantime cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add pasta to the eggplant sauce and mix together.
- Next add as much fresh mozzarella as you would like and mix into the pasta.
- The cheese will melt into a gooey stringy texture.
- Pasta is ready.
- Serve pasta right away with garnish of Parmesan cheese.