Cauliflower, broccoli and potato curry is a dish I had at my friend Radhika’s home when we all went over for dinner recently. Radhika had made a traditional South Indian Tamil meal for the evening that was outstanding. One of the veggie dishes was a broccoli cauliflower and potato curry that was so good that Rani was having seconds and thirds. It seems this curry is a favorite of Radhika’s two sons and is a dish that Radhika’s Father used to make when she was young.
The recipe is rather unexpected in that it uses regular store bought curry powder, turmeric, asafetida and chili powder as the spice, that’s it. A positively delicious veggie dish this is that I am sure will become a favorite in our home as well. Give it a try!
Here is a look at the menu for the evening.
A South Indian Vegetarian Tamil Dinner at Radhika’s
Broccoli Cauliflower Potato Curry
Green beans poriyal (sauté) Me
Sambhar (vegetable and lentil soup) Me
Rasam (tomato and lentil water soup)
Halwa & Chai
Want to know the most unexpected and amazing ending to a lovely dinner gathering? Radhika’s son Kieren has a huge and very sophisticated telescope! He wants to be an astrophysicist and is heading off to college next year. He casually asked if we wanted to see Saturn. To see Saturn? We were thrilled! We even saw the rings around the planet! Amazing, amazing, amazing! The universe is truly a beautiful enigma!!!
Cauliflower, Broccoli, & Potato Curry
recipe courtesy of Radhika
- 1 lb new or Yukon gold potatoes, skin peeled and cut into small pieces about 10 small potatoes, 3 – 4 cups.
- 1 bunch broccoli about 3 cups cut into the same size as the potatoes
- 1 small head of cauliflower about 3-4 cups cut into same size as potatoes
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp asafetida powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Cilantro for garnish
- In a pan heat 3 tbsp oil. Add all the spices and toast in oil for 2-3 seconds. Immediately add the potatoes and coat the potatoes with the spiced oil. Pan roast the potatoes with salt until potatoes are slightly cooked about 5 minutes.
- Next add the broccoli and mix-in. Cover and cook broccoli for 5 minutes.
- Now add the cauliflower and 1/2 cup water. Toss all the veggies together and cover the pot and let the steam cook all the veggies until tender about 10-15 minutes. Turn the stove off and add squeeze of 1/2 lemon. Curry is ready.
- Serve warm with garnish of cilantro accompanied with naan, chapatis, or tortillas. Or serve as a side dish.
More pics from our dinner at Radhika’s celebrating Raksha Bhandan
A beautiful evening for beautiful pictures
Dinner on our mind 😋
Ending the night with a look at Saturn and it’s rings!!!
The Aural Universe
I spend my time outside, listening
to the static of stars.
A gentle drone and
Can you hear saturn’s rings?
The whirring of turquoise ice
like a witch playing theremin.
A ghostly pitch echoes through cosmic chasms,
pinging across blank skies,
reverberating between billions of suns,
haunting every inch of the universe …