Looking for an easy way to use up a large quantity of late summer tomatoes? Here is a recipe for a delicious oven roasted tomato and onion chutney or call it a chunky jam. This chutney is tangy and sweet and tastes amazing with pretty much anything – on toast, with eggs, rice, pasta, chicken, fish, burgers, or with crackers and cheese. Just cut, toss, and roast. Give it a try!
To make this delectable chutney all I did is cut up fresh tomatoes, red onions, and a few garlic cloves. Drizzled with olive oil and tossed them all together. Spread them on two baking sheets and cook in the oven for about 45-minutes to 1 hour. Then simply toss with salt and pepper and cayenne pepper for some spice, and store in sterilized bottles to use whenever you like.
Roasted Tomato and Onion Chutney
- 10 cups of fresh tomatoes
- 2 red onions cut into slices
- 4 garlic cloves finely sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together tomatoes, onions, garlic cloves and olive oil. Spread on two baking sheets. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes. At the 30-minute mark, toss the tomatoes around. Place back in oven and continue roasting for an additional 30 minutes until the tomato juices have evaporated and tomatoes are soft and caramelized.
- Take out of oven and place in a pan over low heat on the stove. Add salt, pepper, and chili powder (if using) and thoroughly mix together for a minute or two. Roasted tomato onion chutney is ready.
- Store chutney in sterilized bottles in the refrigerator.
Cook’s Notes: If you would prefer this chutney as a smooth spread simpy blend the tomato mixture in a food processor into a smooth texture.
For a quick sandwich spread a generous amount of chutney on two slices of bread, add a slice of cheese like Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese, and take a bite 😋. Have sandwich with soup or salad for a simple, easy and delicious lunch.