Chunky, moist, sweet and spicy, these ginger bars are awesome accompanied with a warm cup of tea for a winner of a cozy combination ☕️ 🍪. These delicious spicy ginger bars have golden raisins, candied ginger, molasses, warming spices, and dark rum – doesn’t all this make your mouth water 😋? Spicy Ginger Bars from my favorite celebrity chef Ina Garten came to mind this week as its been cold and rainy and there is something about cold wintery days that makes me crave warming spices like nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon. This is an awesome sweet treat to make when the weather gets cold and all you want is something sweet with a warm cup of tea. The best part is these bars are easy to make and taste great!
Spicy Ginger Hermit Bars:
recipe from Ina Garten Spicy Hermit Bars
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup minced crystallized ginger (not in syrup)
- 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 pound (1 stick or 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light or dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- Dark rum, such as Mount Gay
- Grated lemon zest
For complete instructions on how to make these spicy ginger bars take a look at this link Spicy Hermit Bars by Ina Garten.
I followed Ina’s recipe exactly as she instructed, and the bars turned out awesome!