A spring veggie pizza full of delicious spring green veggies that you don’t even require a salad to go with it, and the best part is that it’s easy and tastes great. I made this pizza for my daughter Anjali over the weekend as an alternative to another pizza I made with mushrooms, which Anjali absolutely does not like. Rather than have her feel left out of the pizza party, I made a spring veggie pizza with a variety of veggies that are in peak season right now such as spring onions, leeks, kale, and mache leaves. Add in salty gorgonzola cheese and a blend of parmesan and gruyere, toss in some marinated artichokes and even sundried tomatoes or olives if you like, and you have a delicious spring inspired pizza that tastes great as an appetizer or for a light lunch or dinner. This pizza is so packed with green veggies and made with whole wheat pizza dough that it feels just a little guilt free eating pizza 😋😊. Give it a try!
Spring Onion Pizza with Kale Leeks and Gorgonzola
makes 1 large pizza of 8 -10 slices
- 1 packet refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough. I buy mine from Trader Joe’s.
- 2-3 green onions finely cut
- 2-3 leeks light green and white parts finely cut
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups curly kale finely cut
- 1 cup marinated artichokes
- 2 cups mache or arugula or lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatos (optional)
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola about a 3 inch block
- 1 cups shredded gruyere
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees as directed by pizza dough package. Oil a large pizza pan. Roll out the dough and place it on the pizza pan. Set aside.
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the garlic and leeks and sauté for about 2 minutes until the leeks are tender. Next add the kale and sauté for 2 minutes until they are wilted. Add black pepper and mix in. Set aside. I don’t add salt since the gorgonzola cheese is very salty it makes up for any lack of salt in the veggies. You can always sprinkle some salt afer the pizza is ready after you taste it.
- Prebake the pizza dough for 8-10 minutes until pizza dough is cooked through to your liking. Take out of oven and get ready to assemble the pizza.
- First evenly sprinkle the Gruyere and Parmesan cheese. Next add the leek and kale mix. Add the artichokes and sundried tomatoes and olives if using. Lastly evenly distribute with Gorgonzola over the pizza.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes just until the cheese is melted. After 5 minutes take out of the oven.
- Now sprinkle green onions all over the pizza.
- Pile on the Mache or arugula or lettuce leaves of your choice. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Pizza is ready!
- Cut into slices. Taste to see if salt is needed and sprinkle with salt lightly. Serve right away.