Caramelized Onion & Baby Spinach Raita
makes 6-7 servings
- 1 large onion cut into small pieces – about 2 cups
- 4 cups plain yogurt
- 4 cups finely cut baby spinach
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp asafoetida powder
- 2 red chilies (optional)
- 1 tbsp cilantro for garnish
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida powder and red chilies and toast in oil for 2-3 seconds. Add the chopped onions and cook in oil until caramelized, about 5-7 minutes. Turn the stove off and let it cool.
- In a large mixing bowl add yogurt, finely cut baby spinach and salt, and mix together.
- Add the caramelized onions and mix-in. Taste and adjust for salt. Raita is ready.
- Serve raita garnished with fresh cilantro and a sprinkle of paprika.