Here is a carrot cake that has all the traditional carrot cake ingredients I remember growing up with in Texas – carrots, pineapple, and coconut. Packed with just the right proportion of carrots, crushed pineapple and coconut; this cake is soft, moist and delicious.
I made this carrot cake for my daughter Rani’s 16th birthday celebration, and to make it extra special I baked a large bundt cake complete with decadent cream cheese frosting decorated with edible springtime flowers from my garden 🌸🌺🌸. The cake was a big his with Rani and her friends 😋👌.
Spring Carrot Cake
Ingredients for cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup crushed pineapple in can drained
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- A traditional carrot cake usually has raisins and chopped walnuts in the batter but I left it out, however if you want to add them in go ahead and add 1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Butter a large bundt cake pan (capacity 10-15cup). Oil the pan and dust with flour.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl whisk together sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs until creamy. Add the shredded carrots, coconut and fresh ginger and mix-in.
- Combine the liquid mixture with the flour mixture until well incorporated.
- Pour the batter in the bundt cake pan and bake for 50-55 minutes until at toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Take out of oven and cool before taking the cake out of the pan. Let cool completely for 1 hour or more before frosting with cream cheese frosting.
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- Whisk all ingredients together to form a creamy frosting.
Decorate the cake
- Spread cream cheese frosting around the carrot cake.
- Start to decorate with shredded coconut, and edible flowers. I used nasturtiums and pansy blossoms.
A delicious piece of sweet, moist carrot cake.
Movie, Dinner & Cake: Rani’s 16th birthday celebration.
At the movies 🍿🍿🎥
All dressed up for dinner!
Dinner at local Mexican restaurant Zona Rosa.
Let’s take some pictures while we are waiting 😊😊😊😊
Time for Dinner!
Ending the night with birthday carrot cake and candles 🎂 🍰😋
A lovely sweet sixteen-birthday celebration 🎂😊
Springtime Carrot Cake