Moist, sweet and very wintery with spices and carrots, this is a delicious carrot cake perfect to take to a holiday party.
I’ve wanted to make this carrot cake ever since I saw the recipe on a blog I follow called the dutch baker thedutchbaker. She raved about her carrot cupcake recipe describing it as “Super moist without being overly soggy or mushy with a nice fluffy texture to the cake.”
Since I was making this carrot cake for a Christmas dinner gathering with my cousins I decided to make it in the shape of a wreath so I could have some fun decorating it.
My favorite carrot Cake cupcake from the dutchbaker
with a few modifications
- 2 cups (190gms) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (100gms) white sugar
- 1/4 cup (50gms) soft dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125mls) oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60gms) unsweetened applesauce or crushed pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups (225gms) finely shredded carrots – note: my carrots released a lot of water when finely shredded, I squeezed the juice out of the shredded carrots before adding them to the flour.
- 1/4 cup raisins
Cream cheese frosting
- 6 tablespoons (65gms) butter
- 1/2 cup (4oz) brick style cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (190gms) icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 – 2 tablespoons sour cream/whipping cream, if needed
- Pinch of salt, optional
Mix all the dry ingredients together.
Next mix all the eggs, vanilla, oil, and applesauce together. Combine with the dry ingredients. Then add in the raisins and carrots and mix in.
Pour into a bundt pan and bake for 50 minutes – 1 hour until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool completely before removing from the pan.
Time to decorate!
I started with adding the cream cheese frosting and then sprinkled chopped roasted pistachios and colored sugar crystals.
Can’t forget my garden embellishments🌺🌿
I used red ivy geranium and variegated scented geranium leaves for natural cake decoration.
Kids and adults loved the cake!
Try this outstanding carrot cake recipe whether in a cupcake form or a cake form, it’s one delicious cake! 😋🍰 .