Sweet port and cranberry currant cake is one delicious cake that brings together the lovely flavors of the holidays together. Fragrant port, tart cranberries, sweet currants, and vanilla, all taste amazing together in this cake.
The cake has a fruity fragrance in every bite from the port, while the cranberries and currants give the cake a nice sweet and tart taste. And seriously, how can one forget vanilla in any cake? Vanilla just evokes that warm feel good vibe in any cake it is added to. This is one happy cake.
Sweet Port and Cranberry Currant Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter, plus about 1 tsp softened butter for pan
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup port
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or currants
- For icing juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter one large bundt cake pan and sprinkle sugar inside of pan.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the cranberries and currants and mix in.
- In another bowl whip together softened butter, eggs, vanilla, sour cream, port and sugar until creamy.
- Combine the butter mixture with the flour mixture until well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once cake is done, let the cake cool for 15-20 minutes before taking it out of the pan. Wait at least 1 hour or more before serving.
- To make the icing whisk together juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Drizzle over cake.