In this cauliflower soup to give it a summertime flair I thought I would make it this time with heirloom tomatoes.
About the recipe
You know summer is in full swing when Heirloom tomatoes show up at the markets. Big juicy heirloom tomatoes in a variety of colors are a summertime luxury.
This soup is deliciously tomatoey with a creamy cauliflower base. Since I was adding cilantro I got the idea to give the soup a mild curry flavor, because you know we Indians love our cilantro and curry powder.
I added onions and garlic for extra pizzaz and a squeeze of lemon juice to finish it off. This is one awesome summertime soup for a quiet Sunday soup day. Give it a try!
Curried Cauliflower Tomato Soup
- 1 head of cauliflower florets finely cut
- 2 heirloom tomatoes finely cut
- 1 large onion sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 sprigs of cilantro plus extra for garnish
- 2 tsp curry powder (any blend of your choice)
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Paprika for garnish
- In a large pot warm 2 tbsp olive oil. Fry the onions and garlic until onions are translucent. Add the curry powder and bay leaves and stir into the onions.
- Next add the cauliflower, tomatoes, salt and pepper and fresh cilantro and stir. Then add 4 cups water and bring to a low boil. Cover the pot and cook the veggies until tender, about 15 – 20 minutes. Turn the stove off.
- Transfer to a blender and puree in batches until smooth. Be careful as the mixture is hot and you don’t want to fill the blender too full!!
- Transfer back to the pot and add brown sugar. Warm through until bubbling and then squeeze lemon juice and stir.
- Serve garnished with fresh cilantro and and pinch of paprika powder.