You know summer is in full swing when Heirloom tomatoes show up at the markets and grocery stores. Big juicy heirloom tomatoes in a variety of colors are a summertime luxury. In this cauliflower soup to give it a summertime flair I thought I would make it this time with heirloom tomatoes.
With cilantro as my choice of herbs, this soup is deliciously tomatoey with a creamy cauliflower base. Since I was adding cilantro I got the idea to give the soup a mild curry flavor, because you know we Indians love our curry powder! I added onions and garlic for extra pizzaz and a squeeze of lemon juice to finish it off. This is one awesome summertime soup for a quiet Sunday soup day. Give it a try!
Curried Cauliflower Tomato Soup
- 1 head of cauliflower florets finely cut
- 2 heirloom tomatoes finely cut
- 1 large onion sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 sprigs of cilantro plus extra for garnish
- 2 tsp curry powder (any blend of your choice)
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Paprika for garnish
- In a large pot warm 2 tbsp olive oil. Fry the onions and garlic until onions are translucent. Add the curry powder and bay leaves and stir into the onions.
- Next add the cauliflower, tomatoes, salt and pepper and fresh cilantro and stir. Then add 4 cups water and bring to a low boil. Cover the pot and cook the veggies until tender, about 15 – 20 minutes. Turn the stove off.
- Transfer to a blender and puree in batches until smooth. Be careful as the mixture is hot and you don’t want to fill the blender too full!!
- Transfer back to the pot and add brown sugar. Warm through until bubbling and then squeeze lemon juice and stir.
- Serve garnished with fresh cilantro and and pinch of paprika powder.