Think French onion soup but more creamy with a cauliflower twist, that’s what this soup tastes like – a caramelized creamy French onion soup.
About the recipe
It’s the caramelized onions and roasted cauliflower that make this soup taste sweet and delicious. Then blend the cauliflower into a creamy consistency and you have a delicious creamy French onion soup made without beef broth and it’s vegetarian!
This soup looks like it has load of cream, but in actuality this is a dairy free recipe. Give it a try!
Roasted Cauliflower & Caramelized Onion Soup
- 1 large cauliflower cut into florets. About 10 cups of florets
- 1 large red onion or 2 medium sized red onions cut into rings
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp of fresh thyme.
- A few sprigs of chives finely chopped
- 5-6 cups broth
- Toss cauliflower and onions with 4 tbsp olive oil. Spread on sheet and roast in a 375-degree oven for 20 minutes. Stir the vegetables and continue baking for an additional 20 minutes until the vegetables are roasted and slightly browned.
- Take out of oven and place the vegetables in a large pot. Add salt and pepper and 5-6 cups broth. Bring to a boil – about 5 minutes. Turn the stove off.
- In batches puree cauliflower until creamy and smooth. Make sure to use a blender to get that smooth creamy texture. I used the hand blender first, but it keeps the cauliflower more chunky which makes the soup look more like curdled milk 😝.
- Place the creamed soup back on the stove and add chives and thyme. If the soup is too thick add more broth or water. Warm through until hot and bubbly. Soup is ready!
- Serve soup with extra garnish of herbs.