This Indian spinach dish called saag paneer is usually made with spinach, garlic, onions and paneer, but in this variation I thought I would experiment with leeks instead which gives this dish more of a green onion flavor.
When leeks are in season I like to use them in leu of onions as they add a different type of onion flavor and a creamy texture to a dish. Leeks and spinach with all the spices and paneer are great together in this dish. Give it a try!
Spinach Curry with Paneer and Leeks:
- 1 bunch leeks (2-3 leeks), green leaves removed and white parts finely chopped
- 10 cups fresh spinach finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or paprika
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 box 14 oz tofu or 1 block paneer cut into small cubes
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and add cumin seeds and toast in oil for a few seconds until the aroma is released. Add leeks and sauté until soft and tender. Add 1 tbsp butter and melt into the leeks. The butter becomes ghee when melted and gives the dish a nice sweet aroma.
- Add all the spices. Cumin powder, chili or paprika powder, and turmeric powder. Mix the spices into the leeks until the spice fragrances are released, about 2-3 seconds.
- Now add spinach and mix in until the spinach is wilted – about 5 minutes. Add salt and cook covered for 5 more minutes.
- In the meantime brown the tofu or paneer in 1 tbsp oil until golden brown. Add this to the spinach and continue to cook for 3-5 more minutes to allow the spices to get absorbed into the paneer. Turn the stove off.
- Spinach curry with leeks is ready. Serve over rice, or serve with tortillas, chapatis or naan.
7 thoughts on “Spinach and Leek Saag Paneer”
Interesting that you replacs your onions with leeks! Usually recipes call for both that we’ve tried before.
You can use both leeks and onion if you like, but since they are in the same onion family I do use just one or the other. But either way works!
Interesting to know! Thanks!
Your all recipes are my fav. recipe.
Thank you! I hope you will give them a try.
Wow! Never tried this combination.
Will try it.
Let me know how you like it.