You’ve heard me mention asafetida many times as I have used it in plenty of my Indian recipes, but this is the first time I am sharing a recipe with asafetida in salad vinaigrette, and it tastes awesome! I love asafetida, I grew up with this spice in our South Indian cooking, and I love how it brings back warm memories of Mom’s cooking every time I get a whiff of asafetida. In a salad dressing this rather eclectic spice really adds an unexpected fragrance punch that I love.
This recipe for asafetida cumin vinaigrette comes to you from my friend Padmini who used it in a salad she made of golden beets and edamame that she brought for an afternoon picnic at local winery Clos LaChance. Just the slightest hint of asafetida and cumin flavors enhanced every vegetable it was coated in making this a wonderful departure from the usual salads and vinaigrettes.
I modified the original recipe just a tad by adding garlic and a little bit of brown sugar. If you like the exotic flavors of spices like cumin and asafetida try this vinaigrette on your next salad!
Asafetida and Cumin Vinaigrette
recipe contributed by Padmini
- 1/2 tsp asafetida
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- Juice of 1 lemon about 4 tbsp or 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp honey or brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Warm 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the asafetida and cumin powder and the garlic and fry in oil for 5 seconds. Turn the stove off. Add the remainder of olive oil. Transfer this to a small bowl.
- Add juice of 1 lemon, salt and pepper, honey and whisk together to make a salad dressing. Vinaigrette is ready!
- Toss vinaigrette over salad of your choice.