Golden beets, edamame, baby spinach, peppers and onions all tossed in cumin and asafetida vinaigrette make this salad totally unique and delicious that is a feast for the eyes and the taste buds.
About the recipe
My friend Padmini brought this delicious golden beet salad with Indian vinaigrette for a picnic that we want on at Clos Les Chance Winery in Morgan Hill recently that was outstanding!
Padmini’s salad was so delicious I could have had bowls and bowls of it. What I loved about it is how colorful it was, and the dressing – Oh my goodness, it was delicious!
First off talking about the color – Padmini had gorgeous golden beets, edamame, red peppers, bright green baby spinach and a few other veggies that really made this salad a feast for the eyes.
South Indian inspired dressing
What makes this salad a cut above the ordinary is the South Indian inspired dressing. Its an asafetida and cumin dressing and it tastes awesome in this salad, adding a nice mild spicy fragrance to all the veggies. For something totally different and delicious give this salad a try!
Golden Beet Salad with Edamame and Asafetida Cumin Vinaigrette
recipe contributed by Padmini
- 1 golden beet boiled until slightly tender but still has a bite
- 1 bell pepper finely cut
- 1 cup fresh edamame beans (these can be bought frozen at the grocery store)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Green onions or a small onion, just a little goes a long way.
- 2 – 4 cups baby spinach
- Asafetida and Cumin Vinaigrette
- 1/2 tsp asafetida
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- Olive oil – 4 tbsp
- Lemon juice or any white vinegar about 4 tbsp
- Make the vinaigrette and set aside.
- In a salad bowl place all the veggies.
- Gently add the asafetida and cumin vinaigrette and toss together with the veggies. Be careful not to bruise the fresh spinach too much.
- Salad is ready!