I was assigned to make sandwiches for a picnic I was going on with a few friends and I just couldn’t find my favorite artichoke and jalapeño spread at the grocery store that I usually use for my sandwiches. Out of a need to make something similar to my favorite spread with the same delicious results I came up with this artichoke pesto sandwich.
The flavors that shine in this sandwich are pesto, marinated artichokes, good white cheddar cheese, red onions and mustard. As simple as this sandwich is, it tastes amazingly delicious.
I knew I had nailed this recipe when my friends at the picnic absolutely loved these sandwiches.
For flavor packed vegetarian sandwiches that are easy to make, filling, and delicious give this recipe a try!
Artichoke Pesto Sandwich
- Whole wheat or whole grain bread
- Pesto – I buy mine from Trader Joe’s, they have the best!
- Good mustard
- Good quality cheddar cheese – I used aged white cheddar cheese. Shred it or cut them into slices, as much as you want.
- Marinated artichokes sliced thinly
- Red onion finely cut
- Marinated jalapeños – these come in a jar and are milder than fresh jalapeños.
- Lettuce blend or baby spinach
- A few cilantro leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Spread pesto on slice of bread and mustard on the second slice of bread.
- Next place the cheddar cheese on one slice. Top the cheese with marinated artichokes – cut them into thin slices so that the sandwich can close.
- Next add the onion slices and then the jalapeños. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Top with a generous amount of lettuce leaves and a few cilantro leaves.
- Close the sandwich with the 2nd slice of bread. Cut the sandwich in half. Sandwiches are ready!