What makes this soup so flavorful are leeks, sweet carrots and butternut squash. These three vegetables are so good cooked together that the soup requires not much else. Just salt and pepper. Try it!
Carrots, Leeks and Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 lb cut butternut squash cut into cubes
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 large leeks or 4 medium sized leeks – white and tender greens finely chopped
- 1 carton vegetable broth or 5 cups broth plus 3 cups water OR 8 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh chives if you have from the garden (optional) for garnish
- In a large pot melt 1 tbsp butter with 1 tbsp olive oil and sauté leeks until tender – about 5 minutes. Add carrots and butternut squash, salt and pepper and 5 cups water or broth. Cover and cook vegetables for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Turn the stove off. Using a hand blender lightly puree the vegetables. Add 2 cups more water to thin the soup if needed and warm through. Soup is ready.
- Serve soup garnished with finely chopped chives.