What makes this soup so flavorful are leeks, sweet carrots and butternut squash all cooked into a creamy broth. These three vegetables are so good together that the soup requires not much else. Just salt and pepper. Try it!
Carrots, Leeks and Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 lb cut butternut squash cut into cubes
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 large leeks or 4 medium sized leeks – white and tender greens finely chopped
- 1 carton vegetable broth or 5 cups broth plus 3 cups water OR 8 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh chives if you have from the garden (optional) for garnish
- In a large pot melt 1 tbsp butter with 1 tbsp olive oil and sauté leeks until tender – about 5 minutes. Add carrots and butternut squash, salt and pepper and 5 cups water or broth. Cover and cook vegetables for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Turn the stove off. Using a hand blender lightly puree the vegetables. Add 2 cups more water to thin the soup if needed and warm through. Soup is ready.
- Serve soup garnished with finely chopped chives.