I had half a tube of lemongrass paste leftover from when I made some tofu pockets and not really knowing what else to use this herb for, decided to make an Asian-inspired butternut squash soup.
What makes this soup taste so good is a whole bunch of fresh herbs like mint and cilantro along with coconut milk which transforms the soup into a light and creamy Thai-inspired squash soup.
Butternut Squash Soup with Lemongrass & Coconut Milk
- 2 lb cut butternut squash or pumpkin
- 2 tbsp lemongrass paste ( I bought mine in a tube in the produce isle). If lemongrass is not available, juice of 1 lime makes a great substitute – just add it at the end after the soup is cooked.
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes or paprika
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- 1 carton vegetable broth (about 5 cups) or 5 cups water
- In a pot heat 2 tbsp oil. Add garlic, ginger, chili flakes and lemongrass paste and toast in oil for 30 seconds.
- Add the cut butternut squash and salt to taste. Add water or broth and cook covered for 15-20 minutes until squash is tender. Turn the stove off.
- Lightly blend squash into a smooth consistency (but not necessary).
- Place the pot back on the stove and add fresh chopped mint leaves, cilantro, brown sugar and coconut milk. Stir and cook for additional 5 minutes. Soup is ready.
- Serve hot soup garnished with fresh cilantro and mint leaves.
12 thoughts on “Butternut Squash Soup with Lemongrass and Coconut Milk”
I buy the real made version from my local retail store … Dolly , will try making this One … Coconut Milk is something i like to add to a soup …
i meant to type Ready Made …
I hope you like this soup its different from the usual butternust squash soups.
I’m going to try this one! I can already taste how delicious it would be. I’m thinking it would go well with a side of rye bread. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Thank you!
I made it yesterday, it was delicious!
Oh that’s so awesome!!! Thank you so much for letting me know! Have a great week!
There’s nothing left of it, always s good thing. I exchanged the ginger paste for fresh grated ginger, but otherwise I followed your recipe. I will definitely make it again. I believe I’ve tried around 20 of your recipes now, and I’ve loved them all.
Wow, you made my day and week! I’m so happy to hear that you are enjoying making my recipes!! Thank you for your lovely feedback😘!!
I’d love to hear how you like it!
Love butternut squash. Will try this soup.
Basanthi, you can buy everything from Safeway even the already cut butternut squash , this makes the easiest and quckest soup.