Here is one more squash soup recipe to add to the fall squash soup recipe box – a butternut squash and celery onion soup.
About the recipe
This recipe comes to you from my Aunty Shashi who visited us this November and shared a few of her favorite recipes including her butternut squash soup . Though we didn’t get a chance to make the soup together I did promptly make it the first chance I got.
The simplest soup to make with the simplest of ingredients – squash, celery, onion, salt, pepper and broth. Sauté the veggies in olive oil and cook with broth until smooth and creamy. That’s it! The soup gets all sweet from the butternut squash with the added aroma of onions and celery. Delicious, wholesome, and so fall 🍂🍁!
Butternut Squash and Celery Onion Soup
recipe contributed by Shashi Aunty
makes 6 generous servings
- Flesh of 1 butternut squash cubed – about 4 to 5 heaping cups full
- 2 ribs of celery finely cut
- 1 large yellow onion
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- In a large pot warm 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add the celery and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes. Next add the squash, salt and pepper and broth. Bring to a boil and cook until the squash gets all soft – this may take some time. This will go by faster if you use a pressure cooker or the Instapot.
- Once the squash is tender, blend into a smooth soup.
- Serve with extra drizzle of olive oil and black pepper.
- Cook’s Notes: If you have an Instapot this is the easiest soup to make. Sauté the veggies in the sauté function and then add the broth and cook until done on the pressure setting for 30 minutes. Then puree for a creamy soup.