Here is a recipe for a delicious creamy butternut squash soup with the tart sweetness of apples and the delicate oniony flavor of leeks.
About the recipe
Our friend Oliver’s butternut squash vichyssoise style soup with apples and leeks was the inspiration for my version of butternut squash soup. Oliver gave me the three main ingredients that made his soup taste so good – butternut squash, apples and leeks – I improvised with the rest. Here is a squash recipe that is tart, sweet, and savory all in a wonderful creamy soup.
Butternut Squash, Apple & Leek Soup
- 1 lb butternut squash cut into cubes
- 3 stalks of leeks. Tender white and light green parts cut into slices
- 1-2 large apples peeled and cut into chunks
- 5 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup apple juice or apple cider
- Salt and pepper
- 1//4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Chopped chives for garnish
- Olive oil
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil and sauté leeks until tender.
- Next add apples and butternut squash, salt and pepper. Add the broth and apple juice and cook for 15 minutes until all the vegetables are tender. Turn the stove off.
- Blend the soup into a creamy consistency. Add 1/4 cup cream if using and mix-in.
- Serve soup with sprinkle of chives and black pepper.