Celery root is a new vegetable discovery of mine. I’ve had celery root in a few dishes at restaurants and most recently as a roasted vegetable when we went to our friends Oliver and Jo’s place for dinner. It was about time I gave this interesting vegetable a second look. I finally bought a giant celery root bulb not really knowing what I was planning on doing with it. When I got around to using my celery root I looked up what celery root tasted like. What I read is that celery root has a mild celery flavor with the texture of a potato when cooked.
I decided to use my celery root in an asparagus soup. I usually make asparagus soup with a potato to add a bit of creamy texture; I figured celery root would add the same creamy texture with the added bonus of a celery flavor. Because this soup has so much natural vegetable flavoring, I skipped my usual soup herbs and spices. it really doesn’t need them. This soup turned out delicious, the family loved it 😋. Here is the recipe.
Celery Root and Asparagus Soup
- 1 celery root, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 5 cups cut asparagus
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- Olive Oil or butter
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp butter or 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the shallots and sauté until tender. Next add the celery root and asparagus, salt, pepper, and all the broth. Cook covered for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Turn the stove off.
- Blend into a puree with a hand blender. Put the soup back on the stove and add sour cream and mix-in. Heat through for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with extra black pepper.
9 thoughts on “Celery Root and Asparagus Soup”
Never had asparagus and celery root together. sounds great.
It’s positively delicious, definitely give it a try!
Looks tasty 🙂
It’s a delicious soup.
This soup is new to me…👍
This soup is new to me too, I have never cooked with celery root before and when I cooked it in a soup with asparagus it tastes really good, try it.
Sure dear 👍