Hope you had a good weekend and are looking forward to a fabulous week ahead. Today I would like to share another tea recipe that I recently learnt how to make from my brother’s in-laws who visited us from Dallas, Texas last week. Darshana and Yogesh came on a fall-California road trip and headed up from LA to Northern California to visit with a friend of theirs and us. It was a quick 2-day visit during which time I took them around our beautiful hilly terrain and of course showed off my garden 😊.
Darshana is especially a huge nature lover, organic gardening fan, herbal remedies guru, and basically anything nature fan! She spent hours in my garden and just like my Aunty Shashi who visited me the week before, Darshana also went back home with a backpack full of scented geranium cuttings, seeds, seedlings, olives, lemons, and even sugar snap peas and mustard greens from my garden!
One of many recipes Darshana shared while staying with us was this herbal ginger cardamom tea that she made one morning. Loaded with herbs such as fresh mint, fresh ginger and cardamom, this black tea is a wonderful fragrant spicy black tea herbal drink. Interestingly mint actually becomes “spicy” when brewed with black tea creating a minty warming sensation in the throat just like ginger.
Half the joy of making this tea is heading out into the garden and picking up a few fresh mint leaves for a wonderfully aromatic tea that is more of an experience than a quick “lets make tea” type of task. Let the fragrance of mint and ginger awake your senses as you brew the black herbal tea and enjoy it sweetened with a touch of honey and milk.
Warming ginger, fresh mint, and the aroma of cardamom spice – it’s a mix of fresh and spicy all coming together in a delicious black tea. Give it a try!
Mint, Cardamom Ginger Tea Recipe
makes 2 generous cups
recipe courtesy of Darshana
- 3 tsp black tea leaves
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup of fresh mint leaves
- 4 green cardamom pods crushed
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger crushed or grated
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup Milk use less or more depending on how creamy you want your tea
- Honey as much as you want
- 1 sprig lemongrass if you have
- In a pot bring to a boil 2 1/2 cups of water with 3 tsp of black tea.
- Next add the fresh ginger, fresh mint and cardamom, and lemongrass if you have. Bring the brew to a boil for about 1 minute – you should start smelling all the wonderful aromas of mint, ginger and cardamom.
- Next add the milk and continue boiling the tea until the tea is warmed through. Turn the stove off. Strain the tea in a teapot.
- In a couple of cups add honey. Pour the tea into the cups and stir to dissolve. Tea is ready!