Shredded cabbage sautéed with asafetida, turmeric and cumin seeds is one of our favorite vegetable dishes. When I make this cabbage curry, we have it with rasam (tomato and lentil soup) or daal (lentil soup) and rice. We don’t require much else. Simple, delicious, wholesome – this meal is comfort food in our family.
Cabbage Sauté with Turmeric, Asafetida, and Cumin Seeds
- 1 cabbage finely cut or shredded
- 2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp asafetida powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Chili powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot heat 1 tbsp oil. Add the cumin seeds and toast in oil for 3-5 second until they brown slightly and the cumin aroma is released. Lower the heat and add asafetida powder, turmeric and garlic if using and toast in oil for 2-3 seconds. Immediately add shredded cabbage and mix into the garlic-spiced oil.
- Cook on high heat for 5-7 minutes stirring periodically to evenly cook the cabbage.
- Once cabbage is slightly cooked add salt. Salt will release the water in the cabbage wilting the cabbage and making it soft – at this point increase the heat and continue cooking so the moisture gets evaporated about 2-5 more minutes. Turn the stove off, add fresh cilantro and serve warm.