Roasted eggplant pasta with fresh basil – what’s more to add? Sometimes I find it’s simple ingredients cooked very simply that taste the best. This pasta dish is one of those very simple recipes. It has just eggplant and basil with olive oil and a hint of garlic. Quick, easy and delicious. Give this recipe a try with tender Japanese eggplants and fresh basil 🌿.
Roasted Eggplant Penne with Fresh Basil
- 4-5 Japanese eggplants cut into 1 inch cubes or 2 large eggplants
- 1 lb pasta – I used penne
- A few fresh basil leaves cut into long shards
- 4-5 garlic cloves finely minced
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp Red chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Toss all the eggplant with 4 tbsp olive oil. Spread them on a thin layer on two baking sheets. Bake in a 375-degree oven for 20 minutes, toss them around and continue baking for another 20 minutes until eggplant is tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large pot cook pasta according package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pot, Sauté garlic for a few seconds, then add red chili flakes if using. Next add the roasted eggplant and salt to taste and combine all ingredients together. Cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Next add all the cooked pasta and fresh basil and mix into the eggplant.
- If using Parmesan cheese add it next and mix-in. Cover the dish and let it rest for 2-3 minutes to allow the Parmesan cheese to melt and the flavors to come through. Pasta is ready.
- Serve roasted eggplant pasta with garnish of fresh basil leaves.