This pasta dish is one of those very simple recipes. It has just eggplant and basil with olive oil and a hint of garlic. Quick, easy and delicious. Roasted eggplant pasta with fresh basil – what’s more to add? Sometimes I find it’s simple ingredients cooked very simply that taste the best. Give this recipe a try with tender Japanese eggplants and fresh basil 🌿.
Roasted Eggplant Penne with Fresh Basil
- 4-5 Japanese eggplants cut into 1 inch cubes or 2 large eggplants
- 1 lb pasta – I used penne
- A few fresh basil leaves cut into long shards
- 4-5 garlic cloves finely minced
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp Red chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Toss all the eggplant with 4 tbsp olive oil. Spread them on a thin layer on two baking sheets. Bake in a 375-degree oven for 20 minutes, toss them around and continue baking for another 20 minutes until eggplant is tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large pot cook pasta according package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pot, Sauté garlic for a few seconds, then add red chili flakes if using. Next add the roasted eggplant and salt to taste and combine all ingredients together. Cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Next add all the cooked pasta and fresh basil and mix into the eggplant.
- If using Parmesan cheese add it next and mix-in. Cover the dish and let it rest for 2-3 minutes to allow the Parmesan cheese to melt and the flavors to come through. Pasta is ready.
- Serve roasted eggplant pasta with garnish of fresh basil leaves.
4 thoughts on “Roasted Eggplant Penne with Fresh Basil”
Thank you 😊
Fresh basil is always nice on a finished plate!
Yes, I love to add some fresh green sprigs to garnish any dish.