Saffron, honey, golden raisins and marigold petals, all given this creamy icecream a golden hue with a spicy sweet flavor.
About the recipe
I got the idea to make a marigold ice cream with saffron milk and golden honey when I saw these decadent marigold blooms in my garden. Saffron provides a subtle yellow color that is a perfect color companion to the rich gold marigold petals.
Edible marigold petals
Have you ever had marigold petals in foods? The flowers have a spicy almost intoxicating fragrance that reminds me of the temples of India. Their color – wow! Marigolds are such a rich tapestry of warm colors – reminiscent of warm summer days and vibrant evenings sunsets.
The colors of marigolds are positively decadent. They come in glorious shades of golden yellow to vibrant orange, to even dark burnt burgundy.
To show off the beauty of these lush yellow and ochre colored petals, I came up with this spicy, sweet golden colored ice cream. With specks of orange saffron threads, a few plump golden raisins and sweet honey, this ice cream will make the perfect dessert while lazing under a sultry sun-kissed sky.
Sunset Ice Cream with Marigold Petals, Golden Raisins, & Saffron Honey
makes 1 pint
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp saffron threads soaked in warm 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp golden raisins soaked in warm water to plump up. Drain the water after the raisins have plumped and finely chop the raisins. Set aside.
- 3-4 marigold flowers, petals picked and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add cream, honey and vanilla, and whisk together. Add saffron milk and marigold petals from 3 blossoms and mix in. Reserve petals of 1 blossom to add later.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into the ice cream maker and start the machine. Wait till the ice cream starts to slightly thicken and then add the remainder of the marigold petals and all the raisins. Once the ice cream is completely thickened transfer to a container and place in the freezer.
- Serve marigold ice-cream garnished with garnish of extra marigold petals.
Cook’s Notes: The strong fragrance of marigold petals get much milder once they are incorporated into the ice cream. When using marigold petals as garnish use the petals lightly, as they tend to be on the strong spicy flavor spectrum.
For the perfect creamy dessert on a warm late-summer afternoon, try this Sunset Ice Cream with marigold petals, golden raisins, and saffron honey.