For these vegetarian tacos I made them with a veggie combination of shishito peppers, mushrooms, potatoes and onions. I really wanted the shishito pepper flavor to be pronounced. . What gives these tacos their unique flavor in addition to the shishito peppers is homemade coriander pickled onions and spicy bread and butter pickles. Here is a link for a quick and easy recipe for pickled onions with coriander seeds .
I really like shishito peppers. They are so different from bell peppers and chili peppers – almost like a combination pepper that has a wonderful chili like flavor while being mild and not too spicy. I’ve been using them a lot in omelettes, savory bread puddings, in tacos, and in rice dishes. Sometimes I even serve them by themselves, a little blistered with salt and pepper these peppers add wonderful taste and aroma to any dish.
As for the spicy bread and butter pickles? I was gifted a jar of homemade spicy pickles from my friend Rose. These pickles are spicy, sweet and sour all at the same time and give these soft tacos a wonderful boost of flavor.
Soft Tacos with Roasted Mushrooms, Potatoes, & Peppers with Spicy Bread and Butter Pickles & Coriander Pickled Onions
makes 10 – 12 soft tacos
- 10-12 Soft tacos
- 1 lb mushrooms cut into quarters
- 2 cups Shishito peppers about 10-12 shishito peppers or 2 large bell peppers cut into small pieces
- 1 medium onion cut into slivers
- 2 medium potatoes cut into thin slices
- 4 garlic clove’s finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime
- 4 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onions
- Coriander pickled onions – here is the link to the recipe Pickled onions with coriander seeds and red chili
- Spicy bread and butter pickles. Feel free to use any pickle slices of your choice.
- Queso Fresca cheese or any cheese of your liking
- Salt and pepper
- Make the stuffing: In a baking sheet place mushrooms, peppers, potatoes, and 1 finely cut onion. Toss together with 2 tbsp oil and salt. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes tossing at the half way mark. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Take out of oven and set aside.
- In a large pot sauté garlic in 1 tbsp oil, add the roasted vegetables and black pepper. Cook on the stove for 2-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Make the avocado spread: In a bowl mash the avocado. Add salt, paprika, juice of 1 lime, 2 tbsp finely chopped onions and 2 tbsp of finely chopped cilantro. Mix together. Drizzle with olive oil. Set aside.
- Assemble the soft tacos. Spread avocado spread onto the soft tacos. Top with roasted vegetables.
- Add pickled onions and bread and butter pickles. Top with queso fresca and some cilantro leaves. Sprinkle paprika if you have.
- Tacos are ready!
- Tacos are best had immediately after topping them with veggies and condiments.