I really like shishito peppers. They are so different from bell peppers and chili peppers – almost like a combination pepper that has a wonderful chili like flavor while being mild and not too spicy. I’ve been using them a lot in omelettes, savory bread puddings, in tacos, and in rice dishes too. Sometimes I even serve them by themselves, a little blistered with salt and pepper these peppers add wonderful taste and aroma to any dish.
For these vegetarian tacos I made them with a veggie combination of shishito peppers, mushrooms, potatoes and onions. I really wanted the shishito pepper flavor to be pronounced in these tacos, however if shishito peppers are not in season in your area or are not available, you can substitute any bell pepper in this recipe. What gives these tacos their unique flavor in addition to the shishito peppers is homemade coriander pickled onions and spicy bread and butter pickles. I posted a recipe for pickled onions with coriander seeds and red chili, and those are the pickled onions I used.
As for the spicy bread and butter pickles? I was gifted a jar of homemade spicy pickles from my friend Rose. Rose’s pickles were spicy, sweet and sour all at the same time and gave these soft tacos a wonderful kick of added flavor.
Soft Tacos with Roasted Mushrooms, Potatoes, & Peppers with Spicy Bread and Butter Pickles & Coriander Pickled Onions
makes 10 – 12 soft tacos
- 10-12 Soft tacos
- 1 lb mushrooms cut into quarters
- 2 cups Shishito peppers about 10-12 shishito peppers or 2 large bell peppers cut into small pieces
- 1 medium onion cut into slivers
- 2 medium potatoes cut into thin slices
- 4 garlic clove’s finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime
- 4 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onions
- Coriander pickled onions – here is the link to the recipe Pickled onions with coriander seeds and red chili
- Spicy bread and butter pickles. Feel free to use any pickle slices of your choice.
- Queso Fresca cheese or any cheese of your liking
- Salt and pepper
- Make the stuffing: In a baking sheet place mushrooms, peppers, potatoes, and 1 finely cut onion. Toss together with 2 tbsp oil and salt. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes tossing at the half way mark. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Take out of oven and set aside.
- In a large pot sauté garlic in 1 tbsp oil, add the roasted vegetables and black pepper. Cook on the stove for 2-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Make the avocado spread: In a bowl mash the avocado. Add salt, paprika, juice of 1 lime, 2 tbsp finely chopped onions and 2 tbsp of finely chopped cilantro. Mix together. Drizzle with olive oil. Set aside.
- Assemble the soft tacos. Spread avocado spread onto the soft tacos. Top with roasted vegetables.
- Add pickled onions and bread and butter pickles. Top with queso fresca and some cilantro leaves. Sprinkle paprika if you have.
- Tacos are ready!
- Tacos are best had immediately after topping them with veggies and condiments.