A cheesy tart that highlights caramelized onions? What? I was so thrilled to see this recipe show up in my inbox! A delicious no-fuss tart made with caramelized onions and cheese – what can possibly go wrong with this winning combination? This recipe is for all you folks who love caramelized onions (Just like me and my daughter Rani) and are looking for ways to use this sweet oniony goodness.
The recipe comes from fellow blogger Skinny Spatula Caramelized Onion and Cheese Tart on Skinny Spatula.
I tell you folks I love a good recipe with simple ingredients and a no fuss process. That’s what appealed to me with this savory tart. All I did is caramelize onions, mix in the cheese, eggs and cream, then add in some herbs and baked in a tart shell. A delicious oniony tart is what you get.
The other big plus is that it has so few eggs. Lately I’ve developed a mild aversion to eggs especially if the dish has a strong eggy flavor. That’s why when I saw that this tart only needed 3 eggs, I was definitely on board to try it. I figured with so few eggs in a decent sized tart the egg smell would get mellowed out, and it did 😋.
Served with a simple salad, the tart makes for an awesome brunch! Give it a try!
Caramelized Onion and Cheese Tart
recipe from Caramelized Onion and Cheese Tart on Skinny Spatula.
- 320 g (12 oz) shortcrust pastry (pie crust) (I bought frozen pie crust to make it easy)
- 3 onions, large, sliced
- 60 g (1/2 stick) butter
- 200 ml (1 cup) double cream (heavy cream)
- 3 eggs, large
- 100 g (3.5 oz) gruyere cheese, grated – I used white cheddar
- 25 g (1 oz) Parmesan, grated
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
For complete instructions on how to make the onion tart take a look at this link Caramelized Onion and Cheese Tart on Skinny Spatula. Or read on below.
- Heat the oven to 190C/375F. Unpack the pastry sheet and line a 23 cm (9-inch) tart tin. Bake for 15 minutes. Set aside,
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat and add the sliced onions. Turn the heat to low and cook for 20-25 minutes until caramelized. Stir from time to time to make sure the onions caramelize evenly.
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, double cream (heavy cream), gruyère, and chopped thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the onions into the egg mix and pour everything into the tart case. Sprinkle the parmesan on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until set and golden brown.
- Allow the tart to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into slices.
5 thoughts on “Caramelized Onion and Cheese Tart”
What a great way to pair caramelized onions and gruyere! Can’t wait to make it.
I love an onion tart, and this one looks spectacular with the cheese on top!
Me too! Il love caramelized onions and this cheesy tart is easy to make and delicious too!
Yum! This sounds absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. – Danielle
I hope you like it!