Long-time friends Nishma and Kamal invited us for dinner one Saturday evening along with our other long-time friends Swati and Tarak. Our three families have known each other for over 20 years and have seen our kids grow from babies to adults. When we get together it’s like family getting together for a great time and great company.
Nishma is an amazing cook and enjoys cooking for her family and friends. This dinner was one of those occasions when we got to try one of her new creative dishes. It was an appetizer and it was outstanding. It was a Asparagus and Peas Puff Pastry Pizza. It makes a wonderful first course with wine or even to have as a late afternoon snack with the family on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Here is the recipe.
Nishma’s Asparagus and Peas Puff Pastry Pizza:
This recipe makes 2 puff pastry pies
- 1 package puff pastry (2 sheets of stacks)
- 1 bunch asparagus spears
- 2 cups petite peas
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups gruyere cheese
- Balsamic vinegar to drizzle on finished pizza
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll puff pastry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Crimp the edges of the pastry a little higher than the middle of the sheet.
- Pre-bake puff pastry for 10-15 minutes until light golden in color.
- Take out of oven.
- Spread 1 tbsp Dijon mustard on puff pastry sheet.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup gruyere cheese.
- Layer asparagus spears over cheese.
- Sprinkle with fresh peas.
- Drizzle the entire pie with olive oil.
- Put back in oven and bake for 20 -25min.
- Take out of oven and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Cut into bite size pieces and serve immediately.
Cook’s notes: Nishma suggested one change she would make to this recipe. She said the next time she makes this pie she would cut up the asparagus into bite size pieces rather than leave them in long spears, making the appetizer easier to cut and eat.