I love sweet burgundy port, especially with berries such as blackberries and blueberries. There is something about that dark sweet wine that goes so well with deep dark berries – they just seem to belong together. Port adds that extra bit of sophistication or as they say in French that certain “je ne sais quoi”. That’s why I love making my blackberry blueberry pies and tarts with a little bit of port. Without it, the tart will taste great, but with it, port just takes it over the top. A little splash goes a long way.
About the recipe
This recipe makes a juicy tart with sweet blackberries, fragrant port, sugar and a hint of vanilla. To make it easy to bake the tart I used store bought frozen pie crust, but if you have homemade pie crust then that will surely taste great as well. Give this delectable blackberry port pie a try with vanilla ice cream for the perfect late summer treat.
Blackberry Port Pie
- 2 frozen pie crusts
- 5 heaping cups juicy blackberries
- 1 cup sugar or less depending on how sweet the blackberries are.
- 4 tbsp port
- 2 tbsp tapioca
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl combine blackberries, sugar, port and vanilla.
- Next add the tapioca and all purpose flour and mix into the blackberries.
- Pour the blackberries into the pie crust.
- Take the second pie crust and place on top of blackberries. Make a few slits on the pie crust to allow the steam from the fruit to escape.
- Place the pie on the baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour until fruit is bubbling and pie crust is golden brown. Take out of oven and let cool for 30 minutes to allow the filling to settle and cool down.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
4 thoughts on “Blackberry Port Pie”
Pie looks very good.
Thank you 😊
Mmm that looks so good! Wish I had some blackberries!