Trifle has layers of pound cake, berries, and cream that is all made to look pretty and gorgeous. A delicious dessert that looks intimidating but here Ive taken this fancy dessert and made it easy.
My kids have been craving trifle for months and have been asking me to make it for a while now, but it’s hard to make a small trifle just enough for a family of five. and one can’t get that beautiful looking trifle without making a large dramatic bowl of it. That’s why I’ve been waiting for someone to ask me to make dessert for their party so I can take a giant bowl of trifle. The request finally came this past weekend from my cousin Meera for our holiday dinner gathering and I can honestly say that the trifle I made looked amazing and tasted amazing too!
Summer in a bowl in the middle of winter
I soaked layers of pound cake in a jam and wine syrup, then topped it with berries and fresh whipped cream. And you know the best part? It’s the easiest dessert to make!!
About the recipe
I bought readymade pound cake, a jar of jam, fresh berries, and the only “work” was whipping the cream with vanilla and honey. Then the fun part of layering the dessert starts. Beautiful, delicious and easy to make, this dessert is always a hit at any party! Here is my variation of berry trifle.
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tbsp honey for every 1 cup of cream
- 1 tsp vanilla for every 1 cup of cream
- 2 store bought pound cakes cut into pieces
- 3 pints raspberries
- 2 pints strawberries cut into quarters
- 1 12oz jar of jam any variety – strawberry, raspberry or any fruit jam
- 3 cups sweet wine or port
- ½ cup sugar
- In a pot warm together wine, jam and sugar until the sugar is dissolved and jam is soft and incorporated into the wine. Let it cool.
- Whip together honey, vanilla and cream in 1 cup of cream batches until cream is thick and fluffy. Do this for each cup of cream. Set aside.
- Get ready to layer the trifle. Place cake on first layer, pour the jam mixture over the cake, and then evenly distribute the berries on top, next top with whipped cream. Add another layer of cake, pour the jam mixture, distribute berries, then spread the cream. Keep doing this until the trifle bowl is filled and you’ve used up all the ingredients.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Happy Dessert Eating!