This delicious carrot apple cake made with fresh carrots, apples, spices, and brown sugar is a wonderful recipe from Averie Cooks . The cake is warm and moist from all the fresh grated carrots and apples, and delicious with the lovely flavors of winter spices. My friend Nishma made this carrot apple spice cake when we were over for dinner and when she served it slightly warm with a warm cup of tea, it was heavenly!
Nishma made a few changes to the original recipe, which made her cake darker in color and gave it a more nutty texture. She substituted half the flour with almond meal (with the skin), and used pumpkin spice and dark brown sugar, all of which made the cake more intense in color. Give this easy and delectabke cake a try!
Carrot Apple Spice Cake
by Averie Cooks
with a few modifications by Nishma
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream (lite is okay; or Greek yogurt may be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup liquid-state coconut oil (canola or vegetable may be substituted)
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 3/4 cup grated carrots (about 1 large peeled and trimmed carrot)
- 3/4 cup grated apples (I used 1 medium unpeeled Fuji; try Gala, Honey crisp or similar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper. Butter the paper and sides of pan and sprinkle sugar all over the pan. Or use a large bundt cake pan and do the same. Set aside.
- Whisk together egg, brown sugar, sugar, oil, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl combine the flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Add the dry mix into the liquid mixture. Gently mix until well combined.
- Add the carrots and apple and fold into batter.
- Transfer batter to the pan and bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake for about 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into pieces and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Wonderfully delicious apple spice carrot cake ready to be had with a glass of milk or a good cup of coffee or tea 😋 🍰☕️.