A soup so veggie flavorful that it just needs salt and pepper. Leeks and asparagus both have so much flavor on their own that you pretty much don’t need anything else in this soup. Sauté leeks in olive oil, add the asparagus, salt and pepper and broth. Cook until tender. Blend for a creamy soup or keep it chunky for a soup that is light, healthy and delicious.
Leek and Asparagus Soup
makes 5-6 servings
- 1 lb asparagus cut into small pieces
- 2-3 stalks of leeks – white and light green parts finely cut
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 5-6 cups broth or water
- Chili flakes – optional
- 1/4 cup cream or 1/2 cup whole milk (optional)
- In a large pot heat 2-3 tbsp olive oil. Add leeks and cook until leeks are tender about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Next add all the cut asparagus, salt and pepper, plus 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and cook the asparagus until tender about 10 minutes.
- Next add all the broth and bring soup to a boil for an additional 5 minutes. Turn the stove off and blend the soup into a creamy consistency.
- Add 1/4 cup cream or 1/2 cup whole milk at this point for a more decadent soup (optional). Place back on stove and heat through. OR keep it light and vegan and skip the dairy. Taste for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Serve warm with extra black pepper or chili flakes.