Soft creamy lentils cooked with radish and spices make a deliciously warm bowl of daal. All this lentil soup has is cumin, turmeric and asafetida. Served over fluffy white rice this radish daal is comfort food at it’s best.
- 1-cup pigeon peas (toor daal) cooked until tender. This will yield about 3-4 cups of soft lentils in their water.
- 1 large daikon peeled and finely shredded -about 2 cups shredded daikon
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp asafetida powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- Red chilies as many as you want
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- 2 tbsp ghee or 1 tbsp butter
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds and toast in oil for a 3-5 seconds. Add asafetida powder and red chilies and toast in oil for 1-2 seconds. Immediately add shredded daikon. Add 1 tsp salt and mix-in. Cover the pot and cook radish for 5-10 minutes until it becomes tender.
- Next add turmeric powder, cumin powder and cooked lentils. Mix into the daikon and cook for additional 5 minutes to allow the radish to flavor the lentils.
- Add more water if the daal becomes too thick.
- After 5 minutes turn the stove off. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Add fresh chopped cilantro, lemon juice and a dollop of ghee or butter. Radish daal is ready..
- Serve radish daal over white rice or have as a warm bowl of lentil soup.