Nutrient packed quinoa and Brussels sprouts all cooked with herbs and spices is a delicious pilaf style dish that is perfect for lunch or to have as a side dish with chicken or fish. If you purchase already cut veggies then this dish is the fastest and easiest pilaf to make. With loads of veggies this pilaf will definitely take care of at least half the veggie quota for the day. Two cups of Brussels sprouts, two cups of sugar snap peas, leeks, herbs, turmeric and coriander, with all these wonderful veggies and spices the pilaf is as flavorful as ever. Delicious, satisfying, filling and healthy. Give it a try!
Herbed Quinoa with Brussels Sprouts & Sugar Snap Peas
- 2 cups cooked quinoa. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside.
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts cut into thin slices or shredded Brussels sprouts.
- 2 cups sugar snap peas cut any way you like. Mine were cut thin lengthwise.
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 leek finely cut or 1 onion finely cut
- 2 tbsp herbs of your choice. I used finely minced rosemary, mint, and thyme
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1-2 tsp honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Cook’s Notes: You can easily substitute sugar snap peas with French green beans or asparagus spears.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Place Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and coat all the Brussels sprouts. Roast in oven for 15 minutes until Brussels sprouts are slightly charred. Set aside.
- In a large pan heat 2 tbsp oil. Sauté garlic and leeks until leeks are translucent about 3-5 minutes. Add turmeric powder and coriander powder and mix into leeks. Now add sugar snap peas, 1 tsp salt, and 1-cup water. Cook covered until sugar snap peas are tender about 5 minutes.
- Next add roasted Brussel sprouts, cooked quinoa and all the herbs and mix together. Cook covered for an additional 3-5 minutes for all the flavors to blend together. Turn the stove off.
- Add juice of 1 lemon, drizzle of honey, 1 tsp garlic powder and mix in. Quinoa is ready. Serve with garnish of cilantro and mint leaves.