My Mom made the best grilled cheese sandwich! It was made with simple ingredients that made for a delicious comforting grille cheese sandwich.
A favorite childhood treat
Growing up my Mom made grilled cheese sandwiches on a regular basis, especially on the weekends for a quick lunch. Hers was the only grilled cheese sandwich I knew. So naturally, when I started making them for my kids, I followed my Mom’s recipe.
Apparently this isn’t the standard recipe that most people are used to here in the U.S. I didn’t know that. When I made these grilled cheese sandwiches for my twin’s friends I would get surprised happy reactions. Kids asked me for the recipe; “It’s so delicious! Where did you find the recipe? Can we have another?
Having only known my Mom’s grilled cheese all my life I just figured that’s how it’s always made. Turns out it was my Mom’s version of a grilled cheese sandwich.
What makes my Mom’s grilled cheese so good?
It’s the simple good old-fashioned ingredients that go in it. Nothing complicated. Mom never used American cheese; she took the trouble to grate a block of good cheddar cheese. She used white bread or sourdough, fresh tomatoes, and onions. She only used butter, no margarine, no olive oil and no substitutes. That’s it.
Over the years I have messed around with Mom’s grilled cheese by adding fancy cheeses, gourmet condiments, and sautéed mushrooms and peppers. But I never get the wow reaction I get when I make the original Mom’s grilled cheese. Now I just stick to her recipe.
Mom’s Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- 1 loaf sourdough bread or any white bread of your choice
- 1 block of cheddar cheese finely grated- any variety
- Unsalted butter
- Tomatoes cut into round wedges
- Onions cut into slices
- Salt and Pepper
- Butter 2 slices of bread.
- On the un-buttered side, place some cheese, top with tomatoes, and onions. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Add little more cheese on top of the veggies.
- Place the other slice of bread on top of cheese, buttered side up.
- The sandwich should have both slices with buttered side outside, so it can fry on the stove.
- On a pan melt some butter. Place the sandwich and cook until both sides of the sandwich are golden brown.
- Serve immediately, warm and gooey.