I had just picked a basket full of fresh kale from my veggie patch and wanted to cook something delicious that same day for dinner. I asked the kids what they were in the mood for – kale pasta? kale paneer curry? or kale risotto? The answer was a unanimous “Kale risotto please!” Kale risotto it was for evening dinner.
I added shallots which has a nice sophisticated onion flavor. I sautéed shallots in olive oil until slightly browned (not too much), then added fresh chopped kale, salt, pepper, cooked risotto rice anda a little Parmesan cheese. Easy, quick and delicious 😋.
Kale and Shallot Risotto
makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 5 cups broth plus 2-3 cups warm water
- 6-7 cups finely cut kale leaves
- 4-6 shallots finely cut – about 1 1/2 cups cut shallot
- Salt and pepper
- Chili flakes if you like
- Olive Oil
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- A little goat cheese if you have but not necessary
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Cook Arborio rice with 4 cups water in a pressure cooker, instapot, or on the stove until rice is cooked but al-dente.
- In another pot heat 2 tbsp olive oil and sauté shallots until tender and slightly browned. Add chili flakes if using and stir into the shallots. Next addd all the kale leaves, black pepper and 1-cup water. Cover and cook kale until tender about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice to the kale and continue cooking the risotto for an additional 5-7 minutes adding 1-3 cups broth or water as needed to keep the risotto a creamy texture.
- Next add all the Parmesan cheese and melt into the risotto. Add lemon juice and mix-in. Taste for salt (I hold off on the salt until now as the broth and cheese have salt in them). Add salt if needed and stir in. Kale risotto is ready.
- Serve risotto with garnish of Parmesan cheese and black pepper.
6 thoughts on “Kale and Shallot Risotto”
Thanks to you Kalpana, we have started enjoying Kale! Your recipes helped us all enjoy Kale.
So great to hear that you have started incorporating kale into your diet!
Kale the Wonder Vegetable – power packed with vitamins and minerals … Vitamin A: . K, , C, B6 and Manganese, Calcium, Copper , Potassium
Dolly , but limit the intake as too much of it can escalate Thyroid problems for people with Goiter… But a great antidote for Macular Degeneration … ( eye disease) it is the Cousin sister of Spinach and always adds Color to your dish!!!! You have become a Wonderful Blogger Dolly
Thank you for all your health tips on kale!! Very helpful. Thank you Vinatha Mami on your compliment on my blog – coming from you it means a lot!!❤️😘
Thanks! Remind me to give you some kale the next time I harvest them.