This caprese salad is the kind where one gets a surprise with the first bite and maybe even the second bite – like a surprise in the palate.
About the recipe
When I made this feta/mozzarella combination in a caprese salad I was thinking that Feta with its briny tangy fresh flavor would make the perfect accompaniment to the milder fresh mozzarella cheese.
The caprese is unexpected in that you don’t know what you are getting when you take a piece – since both fresh feta and fresh mozzarella are the same color and look similar, its hard to tell them apart creating an unexpected flavor surprise when eaten.
The way to accomplish this is to alternate the cheese slices on the platter, giving everyone a chance to try each flavorful cheese.
When the family had this appetizer they were pleasantly surprised and they loved it 😋.
A Surprise Party in the Palate. Feta Mozzarella Caprese Salad
- 1 block feta cheese cut into square slices
- Fresh mozzarella cut into 10-12 slices
- Cherry tomatoes – about 1lb cut into halves
- 6 Fresh basil leaves and 6 fresh mint leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- In a large platter place the mozzarella and feta slices alternating with each other.
- Next place the tomatoes over all the cheese.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper and evenly spread the basil and mint over all the tomatoes. Then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Feta and Mozzarella Caprese Salad is ready!
- This is one appetizer that the family cleaned out 😋