Sweet and mild and lightly seasoned with toasted red chillies and mustard seeds, this is one delicious salad that goes perfectly with any meal. The sweetness of carrots and corn, smoky red chilli oil and cumin, and the tang of lemon juice all give this salad that sweet, spicy, sour type of balance that is refreshing and delicious. My friend Radhika had made this outstanding fresh corn and carrot salad as part of a scrumptious South Indian vegetarian Tamil dinner.
Fresh Corn and Carrot Salad with Toasted Red Chili Oil.
recipe courtesy of Radhika
- 2 cups fresh corn
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2-5 dried red chili for smoky flavoring
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 sprigs chopped cilantro
- In a salad bowl mix together grated carrots, corn, salt, cumin powder and juice of 1 lemon. Set aside.
- In a small pan heat 1 tbsp oil. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add red chilies and toast in oil for 5 seconds. Turn the stove off. Remove the red chilies and save to use as garnish. Add the mustard oil to the carrot and corn mixture and toss together. Taste for salt.
- Serve garnished with toasted red chilies and fresh cilantro.
Our dinner and menu on this fun evening with Radhika and family.
A South Indian Tamil Vegetarian Dinner at Radhika’s
Green beans and coconut curry (beans usili)
Black pepper and lentil rice
Vegetable Sambhar (thick vegetable and lentil soup)
Rasam (tomato and lemon soup)
Fresh corn and carrot salad
Assorted crunchy Indian snacks
Fresh fruit and pastries