This is a double duty recipe ✌️😋. Make the wilted greens for dinner the night before and save the leftovers for a refreshing yogurt raita the next day. Both are healthy, delicious and take very little time to whip up. To make the wilted chard just sauté with garlic and turmeric and then use what’s leftover to make a yogurt raita.
Wilted Swiss Chard & Yogurt Raita
- 2 cups finely chopped green chard
- 2 cups finely chopped red chard or 4 cups of one variety
- 2-4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- Chili flakes as much as you want
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp oil
For the raita
- 1/2 tsp asafetida powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- Make the wilted chard. In a pan heat 2 tbsp oil and sauté garlic for 2-5 seconds. Add the chili flakes and turmeric first into the oil then immediately add all the chard. Sauté for 5 minutes until greens are wilted. Add salt to taste and mix-in. Wilted greens are ready. Serve as a side dish.
- Make the yogurt raita.
- In a bowl place cooled sautéed chard, add 2 cups yogurt and mix-in. Set aside.
- In a small pan heat 1 tbsp oil. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Cover with a lid to prevent them from popping all over your stove. Once the mustard seeds stop popping, add cumin seeds and asafetida powder. Cook in oil only for 2 to 3 seconds, do not burn spices! Turn the stove off. Add this oil to the Swiss chard. Taste and adjust for salt. Red and Green Swiss Chard Raita is ready.
- Serve as a dip or serve along with any of these delicious main dishes Whole wheat couscous pilaf Vegetable Pilau Quinoa kale pilaf.
2 thoughts on “Red and Green Swiss Chard Raita”
Interesting raita. Will try it.
Hope you like it 🙂