Apples, plump dates and sweet spices, with these pure simple ingredients you get tarts that are gooey, sweet and delicious. Best part is how easy they are to make especially when made with store bought pastry dough. Here is a quick and easy recipe for delicious individualized apple date tarts.
Individual Apple Date Tarts:
makes 6 individual tarts
- 2 sheets Frozen pie crust dough
- 4 apples peeled, seeded and cut into small thin slices
- 5-6 pitted dates cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries, currants or raisins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thaw the pastry dough and roll it out into two sheets.
- In a large bowl mix dates, apples, spices, sugar, vanilla, and 2 tbsp flour.
- Place spoonfuls of mixture onto one sheet in 6 equal portions, leaving space in-between each mound.
- Place the second sheet of pastry over the top of apple date mixture.
- Cut around the apple mounds. Press down on the edges of the dough so as to seal the individual tarts. Using a fork crimp the edges. Make a small slit on top of each tart.
- Brush each tart with a egg/water wash (mix 1 egg with 1 tbsp water). Sprinkle tarts with sugar.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 40 – 50 minutes until the tarts are golden brown and apples are bubbly.
- Take out of oven and let cool 15-minutes before serving.
- Serve tarts with drizzle of store bought caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.