I was making stuffed peppers with paneer for the family one night when one of my twins requested that I make a couple without cheese. She is staying away from dairy for a while as she’s noticed she feels better eating dairy-free. So for her peppers I substituted the paneer with tofu, and since I was making these tofu peppers just for her I asked her how she wanted them flavored – she requested with herbs.
Very easy to make and delicious, stuffed peppers are a great way to use up any leftover rice, quinoa or couscous. Go ahead and add them in to help bind all the ingredients together. Serve with a side salad or skip the salad completely as these peppers are loaded with veggies, grains, and tofu. Light and flavorful these tofu peppers will fill you up and feel light all at the same time.
Stuffed Peppers with Herbed Tofu
- 6 bell peppers
- 2 zucchini cut into chunks
- 2 cups cooked rice or quinoa or couscous
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion finely cut
- 1 block extra firm tofu drained and set aside
- Herbs of your choice. I used 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp oregano, and 1/2 tsp dill
- Pinch of turmeric for a golden color
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash bell pepper and trim the tops off the bell peppers if you want to stuff them whole. Or just cut them in half and stuff the half peppers. Rub the peppers with oil and place on a baking sheet.
- Make the tofu mixture: In sauté pan warm 2 tbsp oil. Add garlic and onions fry in oil for 2 to 3 minutes then add the zucchini. Cook zucchini until tender yet firm. Next crumble the tofu into the pot, add all the herbs, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cover the pot and cook the tofu for 5 minutes to give the herbs a chance to get absorbed into the tofu. Add the cooked rice, cover and and let everything cook together for 2 more minutes. Get ready to stuff the peppers.
- Stuff the peppers with a generous amount of mixture. Remember this should be a satisfying meal and it has all good and healthy ingredients so go ahead and overstuff the peppers. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the stuffed peppers on the baking sheet, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30- 40 minutes until the peppers are cooked to your liking.
- When ready take out of oven and serve warm with a squeeze of lemon juice.
2 thoughts on “Stuffed Peppers with Herbed Tofu”
These look awfully good!