Lots of veggies, herbs and tomato sauce add wonderful flavor and vitamins in this veggie soup but what really amps up the flavor is the addition of sweet potatoes and white beans.
Sweet potato and white beans
Sweet potatoes add a nice sweet creamy texture and the white beans give the soup some heft and added lentil protein. With 1/4 cup of fresh basil, lots of thyme and oregano this soup is deliciously good and comforting. Call it a veggie soup or minestrone soup either works, but best of all is how easy this vegetarian soup is to make.
Sweet Potato White Bean Minestrone Soup
- 1 leek stalk white and light green parts finely cut
- 1 onion finely cut
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery finely cut
- 1 carrot finely cut
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 bunch of broccoli cut into small florets- about 2 cups
- 1 bell pepper finely cut
- 1 zucchini cut into small pieces
- 1 can Northern navy beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 5 – 6 cups vegetable broth
- Olive oil
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the onions and leeks and sauté until onions are tender. Add the garlic, chili flakes, and all the veggies, salt and pepper. Stir to coat the veggies with onions and leeks. Cover and cook on low heat until the veggies are tender about 15 minutes. Add a cup of water if needed to prevent the veggies from drying out.
- Next add the vegetable broth, navy beans and all the herbs. Continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes. Next add the tomato sauce and heat through for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of olive oil and Parmesan shavings.