Folks, this is by far one of the easiest dinners I have ever made!! , Nothing can go wrong with this combination of ingredients – garlic, onions, tomatoes, pasta = comfort food delicious!!
A quick and recipe
This recipe is for all you home cooks out there who want to make a quick dinner that tastes over the top delicious with minimal effort. And it’s beyond delicious, as in you just can’t mess this recipe up! Seriously though you just can’t.
About the recipe
The title says one pot tomato basil pasta and that is exactly what this is – all made in one pot! And the best part? It takes just 30 minutes from start to finish! Talk about a quick and easy recipe. Super delicious and so easy to make, you may never go back to making tomato basil pasta the same way again!
Since its summer now and I am seeing heirloom tomatoes showing up at our grocery stores and farmer’s markets I promptly bought a few. Tender, juicy and delicious these heirloom tomatoes are so good that I buy them all season long until they just stop carrying them.
2 Easy Steps
The way this recipe works is you take a big pan and beautifully lay all the ingredients in it – which are onions, garlic, tomatoes, pasta and basil.
Then you top it with salt, pepper and chili flakes and then generously drizzle olive oil. Add 4 1/2 cups water and bring the water to a boil and stir all the ingredients together gently for 10- 15 minutes until the pasta is cooked al-dente. Voila!! You have a delicious tomato basil pasta all cooked in one pot!!
My minor modifications
The recipe is outstanding on its own but I did tweak it a little. Rather than leaving the onions and garlic raw I fried them in olive oil before adding the tomatoes and pasta because onions and garlic taste even better when they are fried!
The second modification that I saw lot of reviewers make is adding more veggies like zucchini and spinach, but since I was making this for the first time I just went with the tomato basil pasta recipe 🍅🌱😊.
I did notice that my pasta took longer than 10 minutes to cook. I ended up cooking my pasta for 15 minutes and I also covered the pot and let all the ingredients cook together evenly. What I ended up with was a delicious pasta with a creamy texture and a light tomato onion sauce.
This pasta is so good that my family cleaned out the entire pan completely 😀😋!
One Pot Tomato Basil Pasta
with inspiration from One pot pasta on Marthastewart.com
- 12 ounces linguine or angel hair pasta
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes cut into small pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2-5 sprigs basil, plus torn leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups water
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Step 1 In a large pot warm 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent about 3-5 minutes. . Add chili flakes and combine. Next add the tomatoes, basil, pasta, and water. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Step 2 Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil mixture, stirring and turning pasta frequently with tongs. Cover pot and cook until pasta is al dente and water has nearly evaporated, about 10-15 minutes.
- Step 3 Taste and adjust with more salt and pepper, if needed, divide among 4 bowls, and garnish with basil. Serve with Parmesan.