It was the Sunday after my twins graduation and it just seemed fitting to make something special after such a big milestone, when this recipe for herb cheddar scones showed up in my inbox Herb Cheddar Scones on Marthastewart.com.
Perfect for a Sunday breakfast treat or on a lazy morning, these scones will have you starting the day off on a happy note. Let me start off by mentioning that my family loves scones! We especially love homemade scones all warm right out of the oven. I had to give this recipe a try.
For those of you who like black pepper, chives and sharp cheddar – this scone is for you!
The fabulous flavors of black pepper and chives comes through in every bite and that sharp cheddar cheese runs nicely through the base of the scone. There really isn’t much else to say, except this is a winner of a recipe.
Wonderfully aromatic with a delicate flaky interior and just a little crunchy on the edges, these savory scones taste so good that it will be hard to have just one. Try them with a side of scrambled eggs or just have them with a cup of coffee.
Now, the recipe is very similar to any cream scone recipe which includes butter, cream, eggs, flour, and baking powder. For these scones you also add chives, black pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. But the one modification I did make is in the process. The recipe asks to gently knead the dough with your hands until a crumbly dough is formed, but I decided to take a short cut and used my stand mixer! Folks, this machine is a God send for bakers! It makes any baking recipe a breeze.
I have to be honest though, I didn’t think using the machine would yield flaky scones that we all like – but guess what? It worked!! You still get fabulous soft flaky scones! So go ahead and try it this way if you have the machine, or go ahead and mix everything by hand as instructed. Either way, these scones are going to taste delectable!
Herb Cheddar Scones
from Herb Cheddar Scones on Marthastewart.com
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions (from 4 to 6), plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill sprigs, plus more for sprinkling
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Toss butter in flour mixture to evenly coat, then press between your fingers until mixture has the texture of coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces remaining. In another bowl, whisk together cream and eggs.
- Step 2 Make a well in flour mixture; add egg mixture, cheddar, scallions, and dill. Stir together with a fork until dough begins to form but mixture is still crumbly. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead just to combine (do not overwork). Pat out 1/2 inch thick. With a floured 2 3/4-inch biscuit cutter, cut out rounds, as closely together as possible; place on prepared sheet. Gather scraps; pat out again and repeat.
- Step 3 Brush tops with cream; sprinkle with more dill and scallions. Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until golden brown, 23 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
6 thoughts on “Herb Cheddar Scones”
Thank you 🙂
Thank you for sharing the recipe and giving good tips on how to make them.
Youre welcome! I hope they turn out great for you too 😊
I, too, am a sucker for scones so you know I will be making these babies!😋
Oh, you are the queen of scones my friend ❤️! Your scones are scrumptiously good!