An apple cake that is not too sweet, not too dry, but just right? This recipe is the one. This apple cake is the perfect balance of sweet with a little kick of spices, all mixed together with grated fresh apples and fresh ginger.
Fresh ginger for lovely fragrance and moist dimension
Being Indian, I grew up using ginger in our savory cooking every day, it’s a base ingredient in almost all Indian savory dishes along with turmeric, so ginger isn’t a new ingredient for me really. But using fresh ginger in desserts? That has become my go to spice lately. Fresh ginger adds a lovely ginger fragrance and a moist dimension to many sweets.
Fresh apple plus fresh ginger
In this apple cake I used fresh apples from my summertime garden, and between the sweet apples and fresh ginger this cake tastes like you’re eating an apple ginger hybrid fruit!
Apple Ginger Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup softened butter, plus about 1 tsp softened butter for pan
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded fresh apples or 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh apples (from about 3 small apples)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan. Place parchment paper at the bottom of the pan and butter the paper, and sprinkle flour or sugar evenly all over the paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together with a hand blender the eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil and butter. Add the fresh grated ginger and shredded aoples and whisk-in.
- Combine the liquid mixture with the flour mixture and mix together.
- Pour batter into buttered baking dish and bake for 45-50 minutes until a tookpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for 20-30 minutes before taking out of baking pan. Serve after it has cooled.
Cook’s Notes: This cake tastes even better the next day, and makes a wonderful treat for snack time accompanied with a good cup of coffee or tea. Or serve it with vanilla ice cream for a delicious after dinner dessert.
No fancy icing, no cream cheese frosting, no butter cream frosting, just simple fresh apple cake with the spicy sweet fragrance of fresh ginger. Try it!
19 thoughts on “Apple Ginger Cake”
I currently have this in the oven and my home smells divine! I tried some of the batter and the fresh ginger is really amazing, a nice spicy touch for all the sweetness. I can’t wait till it is out of the oven and cooled. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!
Awesome! so happy to hear youre making this cake! Please let me know how you like the end result!! This apple ginger cake is my all time favorite! In fact my new son in law is hooked on it and asks me to make this cake for his birthday an Christmas gift LOL
Mmmm. This looks and sounds so good!
Thank you, give it a try!
I definitely will!
Droolworthy recipe !!
Thanks so much! I am loving your blog and all the cool recipes! Thanks for visiting surreyfarms!!!
I baked your apple ginger cake to celebrate Aaron’s bday today. *note the flower I placed on top! The cake was so delicious. I dusted some powdered sugar on top and served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. We all devoured it!!! I have loved all the recipes I’ve made off your blog. Thank you!!!!
Wow!!! That looks amazing Karen!!!! My mouth is watering now, I’ll have to come back and make the cake again. Love the Lily on the cake! Don’t flowers just add a pop of sophistication to desserts? So so cool Karen! Thank you for sending me the picture and letting me know how the cake turned out, you made my day!
Thanks again for all the recipes. Did you notice I used the cake platter you gave me too! Love it! Enjoy your vacation.
Yes I did notice the cake platter!! Happy to know that it is being used and enjoyed! Thank YOU for sharing the pictures! Have a wonderful evening 🎂🍾
Wow looks delicious! Will definitely try before boys go back to college.
Thanks for sharing.
Please take some apples from the garden and try making the cake with those fruit.
Love ginger!!! Been waiting for this recipe – thank you, sweets!😘
Hi Rose, coming from you an phenomenal baker yourself, it means a lot that you and Dave liked this cake 😋😋. Please come back and let me know how the cake turns out for you!
Wow! I just cant wait to try this!
This cake tastes really good. I hope you like it.
Looks delicious! I’m a huge fan of ginger. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Stella, try it, this cake is really easy to make and tastes outstanding. Let me know how you like it!