An apple cake that is not too sweet, not too dry, but just right? This recipe is the one. This apple cake is the perfect balance of sweet with a little kick of spices, all mixed together with grated fresh apples and fresh ginger.
Fresh ginger for lovely fragrance and moist dimension
Being Indian, I grew up using ginger in our savory cooking every day, it’s a base ingredient in almost all Indian savory dishes along with turmeric, so ginger isn’t a new ingredient for me really. But using fresh ginger in desserts? That has become my go to spice lately. Fresh ginger adds a lovely ginger fragrance and a moist dimension to many sweets.
Fresh apple plus fresh ginger
In this apple cake I used fresh apples from my summertime garden, and between the sweet apples and fresh ginger this cake tastes like you’re eating an apple ginger hybrid fruit!
Apple Ginger Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup softened butter, plus about 1 tsp softened butter for pan
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded fresh apples or 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh apples (from about 3 small apples)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan. Place parchment paper at the bottom of the pan and butter the paper, and sprinkle flour or sugar evenly all over the paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together with a hand blender the eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil and butter. Add the fresh grated ginger and shredded aoples and whisk-in.
- Combine the liquid mixture with the flour mixture and mix together.
- Pour batter into buttered baking dish and bake for 45-50 minutes until a tookpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for 20-30 minutes before taking out of baking pan. Serve after it has cooled.
Cook’s Notes: This cake tastes even better the next day, and makes a wonderful treat for snack time accompanied with a good cup of coffee or tea. Or serve it with vanilla ice cream for a delicious after dinner dessert.
No fancy icing, no cream cheese frosting, no butter cream frosting, just simple fresh apple cake with the spicy sweet fragrance of fresh ginger. Try it!