Pasta shells stuffed with ricotta cheese, spinach or baby kale, onions, mozzarella, eggs, nutmeg, and salt/pepper. All topped with marinara sauce. It’s delicious, nutritious, and easy to make! And makes for a great hearty one-pot meal.
Stuffed Pasta Shells:
Ingredients: This recipe makes 15 stuffed shells
- 1 box Jumbo Pasta Shells – you only need 15 shells, save the rest to use at another time, or double this recipe like I did to make a large batch of stuffed shells.
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 4 cups firmly packed baby spinach finely chopped
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese or an additional cup of mozzarella for topping
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 3 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Cook pasta shells until cooked al dente. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix ricotta cheese with eggs. Add 2 cups mozzarella cheese and mix. Next add the chopped spinach and onions and mix in. Add salt and pepper. Taste and adjust salt accordingly.
- Stuff pasta shells with ricotta spinach mix.
- In a baking dish drizzle some olive oil and spread pasta sauce on the bottom to coat the dish. Now place the stuffed pasta shells. Top with more pasta sauce. Sprinkle more cheese on top of the shells and bake at 375 degrees for 45min – 1 hour until the stuffing is cooked through.
- Let sit for 30 minutes to an hour to allow the stuffing to settle and bind together. Serve warm.