This pasta makes a great hearty one-pot meal. Pasta shells stuffed with ricotta cheese, spinach or baby kale, onions, mozzarella, eggs, nutmeg, and salt/pepper. All topped with marinara sauce. It’s delicious, nutritious, and easy to make!
Stuffed Pasta Shells:
Ingredients: This recipe makes 12 stuffed shells
- 1 box Jumbo Pasta Shells – you only need 12 shells, save the rest to use at another time, or double this recipe like I did to make a large batch of stuffed shells.
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 4 cups baby spinach finely chopped
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar marinara sauce or any pasta sauce of your choice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Cook pasta shells until cooked al dente.
- In a separate bowl mix ricotta cheese with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Add the eggs and mix in.
- Add the mozzarella cheese and mix.
- Add the chopped spinach and onions and mix in.
- Taste to check for salt and pepper.
- Stuff pasta shells with ricotta spinach mix.
- In a baking dish drizzle some olive oil and spread pasta sauce on the bottom to coat the dish.
- Now place the stuffed pasta shells.
- Top with more pasta sauce.
- Sprinkle more cheese on top of the shells and bake at 400 degrees for 45min – 1 hour until the stuffing is cooked through. A knife inserted in the shell should come out clean.
- Let sit for 30 minutes to allow the stuffing to settle and bind together before serving. You can serve with a side salad.
I gave this recipe to my friend Iya and she shared these photos of her stuffed pasta dish.