You will be surprised at how much flavor toasted cumin seeds add to this salad. If you find leeks to be on the stronger side with an edgy bite to it, you can use garlic instead in this hearty and healthy salad.
Sugar Snap Peas, Leeks & Asparagus Cumin Quinoa Salad
with Lemon Herb Dressing:
makes 6-8 servings
- Sugar Snap Peas roughly cut. 10oz or 2 cups
- 2 cups finely chopped asparagus
- 1 stalk leek, greens removed and white part thinly sliced. Or 6 cloves garlic finely chopped.
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped for the snap peas and asparagus.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 4 stalks cilantro finely chopped. You can also use basil or parsley instead.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Ingredients for Lemon Herb Dressing: recipe to follow in next post
- Juice of 2 lemon
- 6 mint leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp herbs like fresh thyme or oregano.
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Cook quinoa and set aside.
- Place the chopped asparagus, cut snap peas and 2 cloves crushed garlic on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and toss around. Broil in oven for 5 minutes until vegetables a slightly charred. Set aside.
- Make Lemon Herb dressing. Set aside. Lemon Herb Dressing
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil and toast the cumin seeds until slightly brown. Add cut leeks or garlic and sauté until tender and translucent. Add cooked quinoa to cumin mixture and toss.
- Make the salad: Toss together quinoa, broiled sugar snap peas and asparagus, and lemon herb dressing.
- Serve at room temperature with cilantro or parsley/basil garnish.