Stuffed peppers are colorful, healthy, and satisfying, and I make them often for dinner. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover rice or quinoa.
Stuffed Peppers with Indian Spiced Quinoa:
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 cups baby spinach finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- Red chili flakes to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Cook quinoa and set aside.
- Wash and cut the peppers in half. Take out the seeds and hollow out the peppers. Rub the skin with olive oil. Rub oil on a large baking sheet and place the peppers skin side down on the baking sheet.
- In pan heat 1 tbsp oil and sauté onions and garlic until soft and lightly browned. Add all the spices – coriander powder, turmeric powder, chili flakes and mix in without burning the spices.
- Add the cooked quinoa and mix together with salt and pepper. Turn the stove off. Add chopped spinach and mix-in until the spinach is lightly wilted. Add 1 cup grated Parmesan to the spiced quinoa and mix in. This will bind the quinoa together. You can use any cheese you like – feta, mozzarella, Gruyere – take your pick.
- Scoop spoonfuls of spiced quinoa into the halved peppers until the peppers are stuffed. Top with more cheese and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in oven for 30- 45 minutes. If you like the peppers plump and juicy you can take it out in 30 minutes. If you want the peppers to be completely cooked and soft and caramelized, then cook for 45 minutes – 1 hour. Serve warm.
Cook’s Notes: Serve these stuffed peppers with a side salad or soup, and you have a delicious healthy evening meal on any day of the week. If you want a less spicy version of this stuffed pepper recipe you can substitute the spices for herbs instead, such as thyme, rosemary, oregano or a pre-prepared herb mix like Herbs de Provence.
3 thoughts on “Stuffed Peppers with Indian Spiced Quinoa”
Looks very colorful and delicious! There is some rice or quinoa left over all the time. Will definitely make it.
Thanks for sharing.
Let me know how you like it and send me some pics too!
Another mouth watering Dish – Red, Green And Orange peppers are great for a diabetic diet – Very low in calories but filling … Quinoa protein is a nice touch … can you believe i have made peppers today with a potato filing and a soupy Moong Dhall for Lunch ? Adding different colors
to Food – Red , green etc make the Dish an aesthetic Blend …