The combination of kale and ricotta are so good together that I decided to try them in an appetizer.
About the recipe
I came up with this hors d’oeuvres when I was making an egg frittata with kale leeks and ricotta cheese that was so delicious that it got me wondering what else I could make with this combo of ingredients?
The opportunity presented itself perfectly when I had a couple of friends over for tea one afternoon. I wanted to keep our tea light and a relatively healthy affaire. I served heirloom tomatoes with salt and pepper, a selection of nuts, cheese and fresh fruit; and this gorgeous appetizer of crackers with ricotta and wilted curly kale.
What an awesome savory treat this turned out to be!
Soft creamy ricotta cheese with garlicky wilted kale on a crunchy cracker, this is one darn good tasty appetizer. Seriously folks, and the best part is that it’s light and healthy too!
Add edible flowers for a pop of color
I do so love adding edible flowers in my foods and since it was autumn when I made the appetizer I garnished the crackers with a few dark burgundy edible chrysanthemum petals and nasturtium blooms.
Great make ahead appetizer
This is a great make ahead appetizer because the toppings can be made in advance and then all you do is assemble and serve when guests arrive. Just sauté kale with garlic and keep it ready, and season the ricotta and keep it ready. Then just assemble.
For a deliciously light and healthy appetizer that looks as gorgeous as it tastes give these crackers topped with kale and ricotta cheese a try!
Curly Kale and Ricotta Salata on Crackers with Chrysanthemum Petals
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped chives or green onions
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 small bunch curly kale (about 4 cups) finely cut
- 4-6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or paprika
- Salt and Pepper
- Chrysanthemum petal for garnish (optional)
- In a bowl mix together ricotta cheese, salt, pepper, chives, and thyme. Set aside.
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil and sauté garlic until slightly browned and crisp on the edges.
- Add kale leaves, salt, and paprika or cayenne pepper and sauté about 2-3 minutes until the kale is soft and wilted. Turn the stove off.
- When ready to assemble the hors d’oeuvres, place a dollop of ricotta cheese on each cracker, and top with kale leaves.
- Garnish with edible petals such as chrysanthemums and nasturtium blooms.
Serve right away.