After returning from a farmer’s market trip on a Sunday morning I had a basket full of beautiful kale, leeks and Thai basil. These veggies gave me the inspiration to make a veggie-laden frittata. With the addition of some ricotta cheese, this frittata is delicious, filling, and packed full of good for you leafy greens and herbs.
Leeks, Kale, and Thai Basil Frittata
- 1 small bunch curly kale (about 4 cups) chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 leek white parts and light green parts finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely cut Thai basil leaves
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp butter and sauté garlic and leeks until lightly browned. Add kale leaves and cook until kale is tender about 2-3 minutes.
- In another bowl mix together eggs and ricotta cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste and finely chopped Thai basil leaves.
- Pour the egg mixture over the kale leaves. Add a little more butter to the edges of the egg mixture.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes until eggs are fluffy and cooked through. Serve warm right away.
Cook’s Notes: If you would rather make an omelet, cook the eggs with the kale and leek mixture just as you would a regular omelet.
“When it comes to leafy greens, you get a green light to eat as much as you want — that’s how good they are for you!
Leafy Greens. How Food Affects our Health from Joybauer.com